Thursday, April 21, 2016

Chapter 2: The Girl Across the Track



 Okay, some of you probably read Chapter 1 of my short story. I have written Chapter 2, but it takes place about 1 year before the scene in Chapter 1. I will distinguish them with italics. Everything that is in italics from here on out is a memory aka in the past. Anything not in italics, is the present tense. This Chapter is particularly confusing because I have a memory inside of the past. The memory is all indented and bolded in a different font so you can really tell what is a memory and what isn't. Hope it's not too confusing, but I believe this particular memory needs to be in this part of the story. If you have questions I can answer them. Without further adieu, Chapter 2....


Chapter 2: The Girl Across the Track


     I jog over to the water jug, sweat dripping from my brow. The first glass goes in my face as I try to offer my skin a little relief from the ever-present Waco, Texas sun. As I bring the second glass to my lips I stop, frozen by one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen. 

     Long, strong legs freshly tanned from the beating sun. Blonde hair, stopping just above her shoulders. Her eyes, a deep enough blue that I can see them clearly from almost 200 feet away. And her smile, it's mesmerizing. I suddenly start to feel myself smiling as well. 

     She made me smile. It feels unnatural. I think back to the last time I smiled. 

“It’s been awhile Jackson, I miss that beautiful smile of yours,” my mother said, her voice barely exceeding a whisper.

“Not a lot to smile about these days ma,” I respond, my voice choppy as I struggle to hold back the tears.

“Which is why you need to let me go. I can already feel myself fading away. Your time caring for me is over, it needs to shift to your brother now. He is going to need you now more than ever.”

“Stop it. You can’t leave us. I’m not ready.” My voice elevating as I give up trying to stop myself from crying.

“Would you – give this to – Harrison for me?” She hands me a note, her question interrupted by fits of coughing. “I know – he is going to be – angry with himself for not being – here. I want – him to know that – I forgive him.”

“This can’t be it, I –“

“I love you Jackson. Be strong my son.” And just like that, her eyes closed and she was gone.

I drape my arms over her, my sobs muffled by the sheets of the bed. I don’t notice the nurse come and close the drapes. I close my eyes, remembering. Remembering the joy and honor with which my mother lived her life and I was overcome with an untimely sensation. I felt at peace. 

     I break free from my daydream. I notice I am much more in control of myself than I generally am when I remember my mom. For the past six months, every memory has resulted in thrown objects, screaming, uncontrollable crying or some combination of those three.

     This girl. There is something about her that makes me feel alive in ways I haven’t felt in a long time.

She turns and for a brief second we make eye contact. It feels strangely divine, but I turn away instinctively, looking back towards my now half-empty glass of water. Soon after, I am interrupted by the sound of someone approaching. 

     “You alright bro?” 

        I turn; it’s my best friend Nigel also known as Ninja by everyone that doesn’t want a fist to their nose.

     “Yeah Ninja, I’m good. Just thinking about my ma, that’s all.”

     “Still hurts doesn’t it? You need anything you let me know. Coach Baxter wants us over on the blocks to practice our starts. Head over when you good.”

     “Thanks man.”

      I turn to look at her one last time, this time I catch her staring at me this time. She quickly dashes her eyes away and continues stretching. I finish my water and head over towards where Ninja and the rest of the sprinters are practicing their starts. But the only thing I can think about is the fact that I have to meet the mysterious, beautiful girl from across the track.   

No comments:

Post a Comment