I have decided to write this next installment from a present
tense point of view. Hopefully, I will be able to recreate some of my thoughts
and emotions from that day. It may turn out to be a total dud, but if you are
reading my blogs already you probably know I don’t put a ton of thought into my
entries before posting them. Just write what ya feel right?
Friday August 26, 2011
I hate you. Flashing, making obnoxious noises. I want to rip
my alarm clock out of the wall and throw it on the ground. School doesn’t start
for three days, yet I have already had to set an alarm to get up for some class
called Freshman Seminar. From what my RAs said, Freshman Seminar is used to helped
get freshmen acclimated to being at Northwest. Essentially it is a “How to be a
Bearcat” class. At the current moment, it falls a close second behind my alarm
clock on things I am not a big fan of. If nothing else, it shouldn’t be at 8am
the day after one of the most emotionally and physically exhausting days of my
life.
I climb out of my loft and grab my shower caddy. Caddy is a
funny word. I slumberly wander into the shower, only to find all eight of them
occupied. Great. I am going to wait, the shower will help to wake me up a
little bit. After about 5 minutes a shower opens up and get in and out quickly
so I can get over to Wells Hall for the first college class of my life.
Another get to know you game. I do like that all the kids in
my Freshman Seminar class are also majoring in journalism. I think to myself,
maybe I can find some solid friends in this class since we will be around each
other a lot the next 4 years. As the teacher starts going through the syllabus,
I begin to hope that not all college professors are like this guy. He is stressing
the importance of our attendance to seminar and running through all the things
we will have to do this semester. I have to write a paper about and document my
experience at a football game. What is this? Before we leave my teacher and
some girl named Megan (she identified herself as our peer mentor) run down all
the things we are going to be doing together this weekend. The first is
tonight, some seminar called “Can I Kiss You.” They both assure us that it is
actually one of the more fun things from the weekend. At this point, I refuse
to trust someone that expects us to wake up at 8am tomorrow to watch a tree
planted to represent our freshman class.
Today looks a lot like yesterday. FIFA, chowing down at the
Union, and meeting new people. Logan and I try to get a football game going
with guys on our floor and it is pretty productive. We start talking about
having a flag football team on the floor and are actively trying to recruit our
RA Jake to take on the quarterbacking roles. He throws a pretty nice ball. After
dinner, I go meet up with my Freshman Seminar for Can I Kiss You. This thing
just sounds like a nightmare.
We get into the Ron Houston Performing Arts Center and find
a seat. The show starts and it appears that our teacher and peer mentor may
have actually told the truth. The speaker is really, really funny and what he
is talking about is actually really interesting. His presentation is about the
dangers of sexual assault. Both with your personal interactions with the
opposite sex and how to stop or be made aware of potential assaults that may be
happening around you.
After Can I Kiss You, I have some options. I can go get ice
cream with some guys from my floor or go play volleyball with a campus ministry
called the Navigators. I was somewhat familiar with the organization because of
a girl named Kaylyn Costello. Her mom and my mom work together and Kaylyn had
shown us around a little bit when I visited Northwest earlier that year. She
kind of explained what the Navigators was and talked a little bit about what
they believed.
Honestly, I am kind of scared to go. I am still trying to
sort through what kind of role I want religion to play in my life during
college. That being said, I knew that my mom wanted me to at least try them out
and whether I told her or not she would find out from Kaylyn. Plus, I really
love playing volleyball and have enjoyed all the new people around the last day
and a half. As I make the decision that I will go, I realize that I don’t really
know where to go. Right on cue, I get a phone call from a number that I don’t
have. I recognize the 402 area code representing an Omaha number and decide to
pick up. It’s Kaylyn. She explains to me how to get to the volleyball court and
I start walking over.
As I get nearer I here pretty loud music and see a lot of
people. They all look really excited and happy, my fears and apprehension dissipate
pretty quickly. I find Kaylyn and she introduces me to a couple of her friends
as we get onto the court. Nikita and Evette, so naturally I assume that
everyone in this group has some kind of unique name. It is clear that we aren’t
playing super competitively, which is fine with me because everyone seems to be
asking me questions and answering and playing is much harder than I thought.
After about 15 minutes or so I see both of my RAs walking up
to the court with a group of guys from the floor. Cool. Jake comes over and
tells me that they had been trying to find me. I explain to him how I know
Kaylyn and how she helped me find the place. He steps across the net. I figure
that he is probably pretty good at volleyball. I am right. James lines up in
our back line with a guy from our floor that I assume is his brother. They look
identical and have been spending a lot of time together the last couple of
days.
We play for a long time and then I go get myself some lemonade
and sit down on some rocks and just watch, thinking about what has happened the
last couple of days. A lot of my life has seemingly changed and I expect for
that to continue for the next couple of days. A guy comes up next to me and
sits down. He introduces himself, his name is Kyle. We talk about our homes and
families. Kyle is from Council Bluffs. Everyone here seems to be from the Omaha
area. He asks me a lot of questions and really just listens to what I have to
say. I have had a lot of these conversations the last couple of days, but no
one really listened like Kyle did. It was cool.
As volleyball starts to slow down, Jake rounds all the guys
up from my floor and we start the walk back to Dieterich. I am feeling good. I
am really glad I decided to go play volleyball, and even more glad to see that
Jake and James were there too. I can just kind of sense something special
happening, even more special than that tree planting tomorrow morning that I am
most certainly going to skip.
No comments:
Post a Comment