Saturday, January 16, 2016

Patriots and Packers and Panthers Oh My!

The NFL Wildcard Weekend brought plenty of fun and excitement, following the Chiefs game that is. Man what an absolute stinker. If you haven’t already heard what I thought about the games go check out “What We Learned from Wildcard Weekend.” Time to review my picks and make some last minute picks for the Divisional Round that kicks off around 3:30pm Central time with the Chiefs at Patriots.

Wildcard Weekend Picks Overall: 3-1
Wildcard Weekend Picks against the Spread: 1-3

Kansas City Chiefs at Houston Texans…
                My Prediction: Chiefs win 24-17 (Chiefs -3, take the points)
                Actual Score: Chiefs win 30-0 and cover easily

Pittsburgh Steelers at Cincinatti Bengals…
                My Prediction: Steelers win 34-24 (Steelers -2.5, take the points)
                Actual Score: Steelers win 18-16 and miss the cover by .5, sad day

Seattle Seahawks at Minnesota Vikings…
                My Prediction: Seahawks win 24-13 (Seahawks -4.5, take the points)
                Actual Score: Seahawks win 10-9, miss the cover by 3.5

Green Bay Packers at Washington Redskins…
                My Prediction: Redskins win 27-20 (Packers -1, obviously gave that because I picked Washington)
                Actual Score: Packers win 32-18, blow the cover out of water

Alright on to the games today and tomorrow…

Kansas City Chiefs at New England Patriots      PATRIOTS -5                Sat. Jan 16 3:35 pm
There has been a lot of buzz about how well the Chiefs have been playing and it is deserved. They have won 11 games in a row and their defense has been the main reason for their success. That being said, this is Bill Belichick and Tom Brady in the playoffs we are talking about, coming off a bye no less. Edelman and Amendola should both be back this week. Even hobbled, that is big time. I expect the offensive line to be better and to keep the great Chiefs pass rush in check. I think the Patriots score a lot in this game, and the Chiefs struggle to keep up. Especially since Jeremy Maclin won’t be 100 percent. When all is said and done, Tom Brady will get the last laugh and the Chiefs historic run comes to an end. Give me the points. P.S. Sorry to all my friends who are Chiefs fans that will read this post.
Prediction: Patriots win 31-17

Green Bay Packers at Arizona Cardinals            CARDINALS -7               Sat. Jan 16 7:15 pm
As frustrating as this is for me, I think the Packer offense is back. I hate the Packers. I know it was only a one week sample and against the Redskin defense, but ARod was smiling, receivers were getting open and catching the ball, and most importantly the offensive line was moving the ball on the ground and keeping Rodgers upright. The Cardinals have the make-up of a team that could take this whole thing, and just 4 weeks ago destroyed the Packers. That being said, Carson Palmer still has never won a playoff game and this team is young. They will see their day, but not against the great Aaron Rodgers and this Green Bay offense that I think has refound itself. Obviously I am taking those points, but I am even calling for the upset in a shootout.
Prediction: Packers win 34-31

Seattle Seahawks at Carolina Panthers                 PANTHERS -3                Sun. Jan 17 12:05 pm
I expect this to be the best game of the weekend. The two-time defending NFC Champs against the best team in the NFL this season and the best player in the NFL this season in Cam Newton. The hottest team at the end of the season against the best team for the entire season. Two of the best young quarterbacks in the league. Two of the best defenses in the league. So much to love here. That being said, I think Cam gets the nod. He has just been so good and I think his ability in the red zone is the key. Look for him to have a big fourth quarter, maybe even lead the Panthers on a game winning drive. I am giving those three points though.
Prediction: Panthers win 28-27

Pittsburgh Steelers at Denver Broncos                  BRONCOS -8                  Jan 17 3:40 pm
Man, the disrespect is real. After the news came out that Antonio Brown would not be playing the line jumped up a couple of points to 8! His absence means the Steelers are going to lose by more than a touchdown? I don’t think so. As long as the toughest dude in the league is under center (Big Ben), the Steelers have a great chance in any game. Not to mention, the always questionable come playoff time Peyton Manning is going to be under center for the Broncos. I was really impressed with the Pitt defense last week and I expect them to play well enough to give Ben a chance. This will be a defensive game for sure. The team that runs the ball better will probably win. I am taking those points for sure, and actually picking the Steelers to roll on.

Prediction: Steelers win 16-13

No comments:

Post a Comment